Saturday, October 03, 2015

Seeing ghosts

Stranger with the memorable face
Are you a ghost?
Or am I imagining you
Whenever I'm in one of these places
Where we remain anonymous
Hiding behind our name tags...

I think about the future and despair
These are not my people
All these polished masses
All social, sociable, secure in their steps
And I try to blend in, hiding in plain sight.

I saw you having lunch alone
Sitting at a table, all on your own
Seems impossible when I think about it
I must've imagined it
I must be imagining you
Looking for an excuse to distract myself.

Ghost with a pretty face
I've yet to see you smile
Must look magnificent on you
Will I ever learn your name?
Or will I forget all about you once more
Until I see you in such a place again?

It's the last day, I'm tired
My head is hurting
I miss my home, I miss my routine
Yet I know you're sitting two rows behind
I followed you there, then acted casual
Suddenly I turn my head and you've disappeared
The world closes up around me.

Maybe I should consider a career change
If I need ghosts to anchor me to these places...

No comments: